The Oliff's

The Oliff's
Back: Amos Lewis, Thomas Millen, John Thomas, Ella Louise / Middle: Janet Mary, Mrs Louise Florence Oliff, Hon. Albert Thomas Oliff / Front: Percy Charles, Edie Kate, Albert

Thursday 8 August 2019

The Basics

My dad, David Brian Oliff was born on 6th July 1932 and died on 17th November 2012

I have now inherited several boxes of photographs of family members along with letters and postcards sent between his father Herbert. L Oliff and his uncles who lived in South Africa.

I have found these to be fascinating and so I have decided to write a blog and post these letters in case there are any other Oliff descendants out there with an interest in this branch of the family tree.

I am going to try to post in chronological order, but until I am sure I have found all the letters etc I cannot begin to order them.

I have a book written in 1986 by E.M Hood-Williams abut The Honorable A.T. Oliff, which has helped me to work out who was who on dad's family tree but I also have plenty of cuttings and photos of people who I do not know.

I also have a large black and white photograph of Albert Thomas Oliff and his family.
Since my grandfather isn't in this photo and going by which of his sibling are and their ages I would guess that the photo was taken in 1899.

My Grandfather, Herbert Oliff was a talented artist and I have several of his sketches and a scrapbook of his drawings, some of which were published, I intend to post some of these too, if I can fit them in my scanner!

I hope this blog will be of interest to people. It seems a shame to keep all these fascinating, historical items hidden away in boxes and trunks.




4 comments:

  1. Margaret from Australia we are cousins

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry email roymarg62@gmail.com related to Walter Thomas Oliff Lineage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cousin
      Sorry for late reply as I havent been on this blog for a long time due to new career.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jilly. I possible have an old piano which is related to you with the following plaque. " In loving memory of the late Hon. A.T. & Mrs. Oliff presented by their daughter E.L.Crook 1925

    ReplyDelete